MOTU Traveler MK3
The Traveler-mk3 is MOTU's most advanced FireWire audio interface. Once again it raises the bar with innovative new features, enhanced standard features that remain unique, superb sound and reliable performance.
Engineered for high-end mobile recording applications, the Traveler-mk3 delivers four very high quality mic inputs, bus power, optional battery power and DSP-driven mixing and effects processing.
The Traveler-mk3 provides eight channels of pristine 192 kHz analog recording and playback, combined with twenty channels of digital I/O in ADAT optical, AES/EBU and S/PDIF formats. Expand your system by connecting additional MOTU FireWire audio interfaces or the 8pre mic input expander.
The Traveler-mk3 is equally well-suited for studio, stage and remote locations, with or without a computer. As an interface or stand-alone mixer, the Traveler-mk3 provides 28 separate inputs and 30 separate outputs, including four XLR/quarter-inch “combo” mic/instrument analog inputs equipped with pre-amps, individual 48V phantom power switches and Digital Precision Trim™ controls conveniently adjusted from the front panel or CueMix FX™ software.
Connect all of your audio instruments and gear, including mics, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors. Record, monitor, route and process all of these live inputs using the professional on-board CueMix FX digital mixer with no latency and no processor strain on your computer. Apply hardware DSP-driven effects processing to inputs, outputs, and busses independent of your host computer.
Add Classic Reverb™ with lengths up to 60 seconds. Further sculpt your sound with 7-band parametric EQ featuring filter types carefully modeled after British analog console EQs. Choose between two forms of compression: a conventional compressor and the Leveler™, an accurate model of the legendary LA-2A™ optical compressor that provides vintage, musical automatic gain control. When recording from the four mic/guitar inputs, the Traveler-mk3’s signal overload protection gives you an extra 12 dB of headroom above zero with no clipping or harsh artifacts.
After programming the on-board mixing in the studio, unplug the Traveler-mk3, remove the rack brackets, and take it on the road for operation as a portable, bus-powered audio interface for a laptop or battery-operated stand-alone mixer with effects. The Traveler slides easily into your backpack and fits neatly beneath your laptop. All mixing and effects parameters are adjustable using the front panel backlit LCD. Record extended sessions even in the most remote locations with the complete freedom of field battery power.
The Traveler-mk3 provides cross-platform compatibility with Mac and Windows and all of your favorite audio software and host-based effects via WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers. Or you can use the included AudioDesk workstation software for Mac, with 24-bit recording/editing and 32-bit mixing/processing/mastering.
MOTU Traveler MK3
- Sturdy, lightweight construction
- Compact size
- Powered by computer (bus power requires a non-adapted 6-pin FireWire port
- 28 inputs/30 outputs (at 44.1/48kHz)
- Mic inputs, TRS analog, AES/EBU, RCA S/PDIF, and phones are all handled as separate channels
- Four combo jacks provide Hi-Z 1/4" guitar input or low-Z XLR mic input with transparent preamps, phantom power, pad, and plenty of gain
- Clip protection up to +12dB over zero
Individual 48V phantom power on each mic input
- Four 24-bit 192kHz analog inputs and 8 analog outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4"
- TRS jacks
- Digital Precision Trim lets you adjust input gain in 1dB increments on all analog inputs, fine-tune the balance, and save and recall multiple trim setups
- High-resolution recording: operate all analog
- I/O at sample rates up to 192kHz
- Flexible optical I/O allows you to mix and match formats between the two banks (16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 8 channels of SMUX (96kHz), or two pairs of stereo TOSLink)
- CueMix FX offers flexible 28 input/16 bus mixer with on-board DSP effects, including classic reverb with sends/returns, plus modeled EQ and vintage compression on every input and output
- Multiple CueMix FX mixes lets you create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones, or add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency
- CueMix FX software provides real-time FFT and spectrogram waterfall displays for advanced audio signal analysis of individual signals and entire mixes
- Access your entire mix, or any Traveler-mk3 setting, directly from the front panel
Standalone operation lets you program your mixes at the studio and then bring the
- Traveler-mk3 to your gig by just plugging in the included DC power adapter (Tweak settings using the back-lit LCD)
- Connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed
- MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software
- Add additional interfaces for more I/O as your needs grow
- Connect the 8pre via optical for 8 more mic inputs at sample rates up to 96kHz fully integrated into the Traveler-mk3's CueMix FX mixing environment
- Built-in SMPTE time code sync resolves to and generates time code, allowing you to directly resolve Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo and other compatible host software to time code with no additional synchronizer needed
- Includes drivers for Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, including ASIO, WDM, Core Audio, and Core MIDI
- Supports all popular Mac and Windows audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk 3: full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for the Mac OS X with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing, & sample-accurate sync
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire: Two FireWire 400 ports allow for daisy-chaining without a hub
- Works with a FireWire 800 connection via a simple adapter or FW400-to-800 cable
- Front panel volume control for monitoring
- Stereo, Quad, 5.1, 7.1, and user-defined surround monitoring setups available
- Front panel meters or activity LEDs for all analog, digital, and MIDI I/O, plus SMPTE sync, tach, and lock LEDs
- Front panel LCD provides vertical meters for entire banks (8 channels at once) or horizontal long-throw metering for individual channels
- Meter banks are quickly accessible via the dedicated METERS rotary encoder on the front panel Dedicated front panel clock status LEDs