MOTU MachFive 2
Sampling Soft Synth
MachFive 2 delivers the very latest cutting-edge sampling technology by merging four worlds of advanced sound design: samples, loops, synthesis and effects. Now you can import, edit, synthesize, process and play multi-sample instruments, loops and phrases in MachFive's unified, intuitive environment. MachFive 2 is the complete solution for sample library playback and sound design, with unprecedented compatibility and interoperability with all major plug-in hosts, sound libraries and sample formats on both Mac and Windows. Even if you use multiple platforms, hosts and library formats, MachFive 2 is the last sampler you'll ever need to buy.
MachFive 2 includes four dual-layer, 8GB soundbank DVDs that contain approximately 32GB of world-class sounds.
The DVDs include a staggering array of multi-sample instruments, loops and phrases, including premium material recorded at 192kHz. DVD 2 provides a stunning 24-bit 96kHz 8GB sampled grand piano. DVD 3 supplies surround instruments and loops. DVD 4 provides the VSL™ Orchestra MachFive Edition: an exclusive collection of expressive orchestra sounds from the most respected name in orchestra sound libraries.
MachFive combines the worlds of loops and multi-sample instruments. Trigger both together within MachFive's intuitive environment. The unique Loop Lab lets you freely and easily edit REX, ACID and Apple GarageBand Loops, or create your own. Simply Drag audio files into the Loop Lab - you can even drop in audio that has not yet been sliced. Instantly map slices. Find or set a tempo. Apply destructive or non-destructive sample level editing. Assemble multiple tempo-synced loops side by side. Time-stretch with no artifacts. Then set AutoPlay to trigger the audio when you press play in your sequencer application, or trigger each slice from your MIDI controller. You can even drag both MIDI and audio files from Loop Lab to your desktop or tracks in your sequencer.
No other sampler can match the across-the-board compatibility and interoperability of MachFive 2. MachFive 2 supports every major software instrument plug-in format platform (MAS, VST, AU, RTAS and DXi), as well as stand-alone application operation on both Mac OS X (with full Universal Binary support for G5 and Intel CPUs) and Windows (XP and Vista, 32 and 64 bit). You can effortlessly move from one platform to another and collaborate with colleagues who use different audio software or even different computer operating systems. For example, you might write and track in Digital Performer or Logic on the Mac, and then move to Pro Tools running under Windows for mixing. Just save a MachFive 2 performance in DP or Logic, load it into Pro Tools, along with your MIDI tracks, and you are ready to go. MachFive 2 is the first truly Universal Software Sampler.
MachFive 2 opens and reads all major sampler library and audio file formats directly - even legacy sampler discs like Kurzweil K2xxx and the Roland S-700 series. Your computer can't read these discs, but MachFive 2 can. There is no need for time consuming file format conversion. Just load presets directly from the disc. You can even create and save disc images to any hard drive, and MachFive 2 will read directly from the disc image as if the CD were in the drive.
Special attention has been paid to compatibility with GigaSampler libraries, especially keyswitching and "dimensions". Open your GigaSampler, EXS24, or Kontakt instruments in MachFive 2 directly and preset characteristics such as key switch, release, and trigger-speed sample switching are faithfully preserved and ready to go.
MachFive 2 supports all current instrument plug-in standards on both Mac and Windows platforms. Perhaps you run a commercial studio that offers several different sequencing packages to its clients. Because MachFive 2 runs in any Mac or Windows sequencer that supports virtual instruments, you now have the same sounds and instruments available, regardless of which sequencer you use.
MachFive 2 is also directly compatible with notation software titles such as Finale and Sibelius. Because MachFive 2 works in stand-alone mode, you can take your laptop computer to a gig, load your sounds, and use MachFive 2 for live performance. MachFive 2 provides disk streaming on a per instrument basis for efficient memory usage. Enable disk streaming for the included 8GB Grand Piano, so only 40MB of RAM is used to load the instrument. Disable disk streaming for shorter samples, such as percussion instruments, to maximize hard drive efficiency. Effects and synthesizer parameters (LFOs, envelopes, etc.) are modular, allowing for maximum CPU efficiency. For sound design, live performance, music production, or broadcast, MachFive 2 delivers the perfect balance of superb audio quality, ease of operation, and across-the-board compatibility.
MOTU MachFive 2
Sampling Soft Synth
- Apple Loops (.aif)
- Akai MPC
- Akai S Series
- Ensoniq ASR
- EXS24 / GarageBand instruments
- GigaSampler 1, 2, 3
- Kontakt 1, 2
- MOTU Symphonic and Ethno Instruments
- Kurzweil K2xxx
- Roland S700 Series
- UVI Soundcards
- VSampler 2
- Channel formats:
- standalone application
- A minimum of 1 GB of RAM is required. However, since MachFive loads samples (or a portion of the samples) into the computer's RAM add as much RAM as possible to your computer; 4 GB is recommended. MachFive also allows samples to be streamed directly from disk thus freeing up RAM
- Large hard drive(s). See below for Mac and Windows specific hard drive requirements
- A free USB port for the iLok USB key. Note that if you have multiple products which use iLoks for authorization you can consolidate multiple authorizations onto a single iLok; see this tech note
- A CD/DVD disk drive for installation.
- G4 1 GHz Power Macintosh or faster, with multiple processors/cores highly recommended; a G5 or Intel-based Mac is recommended
- OS 10.3.9 or higher. Version 10.4 or higher is recommended
- Hard drive(s) with at least 34 GB free to hold the sound files, plug-in, and application. The drive(s) must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (also known as HFS+); journalling can be on or off
- An audio sequencer software package that hosts MAS, AU, VST, or RTAS instrument plug-ins. As MachFive 2.0 and later has 34 outputs (stereo main outs + 16 stereo aux outputs), the host needs to support instruments with greater than 32 outputs. Alternately, MachFive can be used as a standalone application
- Pentium 4 1 GHz or faster (or AMD equivalent), with multiple processors/cores highly recommended
- Windows XP, XP x64, or Vista (32 or 64 bit)
- An Open GL-compatible video card with the latest graphics drivers (support for OpenGL 1.2 is required, with support for 1.5 or 2.0 preferred)
- Hard drive(s) with at least 34 GB free to hold the sound files, plug-in, and application. The drive(s) must be formatted as NTFS
- An audio sequencer package that hosts DXi, VST, or RTAS instrument plug-ins. As MachFive 2.0 and later has 34 outputs (stereo main outs + 16 stereo aux outputs), the host needs to support instruments with greater than 32 outputs. Alternately, MachFive can be used as a standalone application.