Mackie Onyx 820i
8-Channel Firewire Mixer
The feature-packed and performance-optimizing Onyx 820i is the most compact and desk-friendly version of the Onyx-i Series. With eight channels, three Onyx mic preamps, two aux sends, talkback, flexible control room routing and a variety of Perkins EQ configurations, there is plenty of analog goodness to go around. Plus, FireWire I/O lets you route all channels, auxes and the master L/R to nearly any DAW for recording and return a stereo signal to the control room or into a channel for mix integration. The 820i packs a big punch in a very small package.
Onyx-i mixers are more DAW-friendly than any other interface ever. Onyx-i mixers are qualified by Mackie for use with all major DAWs, including Pro Tools M-Powered 8, Logic, SONAR, Cubase and more. Now, dedicated Mackie customers can enjoy using their Mackie mixer with the world’s most popular DAW. And Pro Tools M-Powered 8 users now have a variety of new, and different, tools to use with their favorite DAW. (The Onyx-i Series Mixers are qualified by Mackie for use with Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8. Necessary driver may be downloaded from Mackie.com). The Onyx-i Series features deeper FireWire integration than any other mixer out there and offers immensely powerful routing capabilities:
- Every channel on the mixer can be routed pre or post EQ to the computer, allowing you to choose whether to implement ‘EQ to tape’ or not.
- All aux sends are routable to the computer, allowing you to utilize your computer as a powerful FX engine by implementing your favorite plug-ins in a live scenario.
- Master L/R is routable to the computer for recording your analog mix. Burn and sell CDs of the mix at the end of the gig!
- Stereo return from the computer can be routed to either the control room for instant monitoring or to a stereo channel for mix integration.
- Having a “real” mixer has its benefits. Latency-free overdubs are simple since you are using an analog mixer. No more wasted time dealing with the complicated “DSP” mixers commonly used on standalone interfaces.
When it comes to the high pressure environment of a recording session or live performance, you simply cannot beat the stability and reliability of an analog mixer. The 820i has a plethora of analog features that are sure to please. First off, there are three Onyx mic preamps which have been proven as some of the best boutique quality preamps available today. Then there’s the Perkins EQ, which offers highly musical Q filter without sacrificing the precise control that Mackie EQs are known for. Two mono mic/line channels feature 3-band Perkins EQ with a sweepable mid, the stereo line channels have 3-band EQ and a unique hybrid channel features 4-band Perkins EQ. So, regardless of the type of signal you need to input, there is sure to be a channel with the right EQ for the application. Other analog tools include two aux sends with pre/post fader assignment, allowing for monitor mixes, effects loops or additional headphone mixes. There are built-in DIs on the first two channels for direct connection of guitars or bass and a dedicated talkback section with a built-in mic that lets you easily communicate with band members while on stage or recording.
From start to finish, no matter how you use it, the 820i offers the quality demanded by industry professionals.
Mackie Onyx 820i
8-Channel Firewire Mixer
- 8-channel premium analog mixer with integrated 24-bit/96kHz FireWire I/O
- Qualified by Mackie for use with all major DAWs, including:
- Pro Tools M-Powered 8
- Ableton Live
- Final Cut Pro
- 3 Onyx boutique-quality mic preamps
- 3-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids on mic/line channels
- 3-band Perkins EQ on stereo line channels
- Hybrid mono/stereo channel with 4-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids
- 8x2 FireWire routing, including aux sends and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels
- Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or into channel for integration into mix
- Built-in DI on first two channels for direct connection of guitars, bass, etc.
- Individual 48V phantom power switches on all mic inputs
- Talkback section with built in mic and flexible routing
- “Planet Earth” switching power supply for worldwide use
- Optional rack kit available