Empirical Labs EL8X Compressor
The Distressor is an automatic gain (or volume) control device (AGC in engineering terms) designed for pro audio (music) applications. Basically, it electronically controls the volume of just about any source in a very pleasing, and "musical" manner - adding fullness, intelligibility, and especially in the Distressor's case - excitement. This type of device is often called a "limiter" or "compressor" by audio industry people. Its most probable uses will be in recording studios, live sound situations, movie sound production, and radio broadcast production.
The original concept of the "British Mode" came from an unusual setting on the classic UREI LN1176 limiter. The unit was designed to have only four ratios, each ratio being engaged by selecting one of four buttons. However, as early as 1980 (or before), renegade recording engineers, always on the lookout for something a little more "over the top", found that you could make all four buttons stay "in" if you pressed them just right. What resulted was a very, very aggressive sound that had some elements of the units 20:1 ratio, but with an unusual knee and new envelope shape. Somewhere along the line, someone called it a "British Mode" and the name has stuck. It is also called "all buttons in" and some other intuitive names.
Empirical Labs EL8X Compressor
- Classic knee sound with modern noise specs and improved performance.
- Programmable analog distortion/warmth, helpful in the pristine but unforgiving digital world. Three audio modes providing user programmable, warm harmonic distortion. Emphasized tube-like, 2nd harmonic in clean and Distort 2 mode. In Distort 3 mode, the distortion becomes dominated by 3rd harmonic, more similar to tape
- Distortion indicator lights: A 1% LED and a "Redline" (3%) LED. No hard clipping until a few dB past "Redline"
- Advanced built-in sidechain EQ: High mid band emphasis prevents harsh, edgy guitars or vocals from hurting innocent ears. Low cut keeps the low "sum & difference" frequencies from pumping the upper frequencies of source material
- Fool proof operation: Even though there are 384 possible settings (not counting knob settings), it's almost impossible to get a bad sound. Keep all knobs on 5 or 6 (around middle) with ratio at 6:1 and you won't go wrong
- Eight unique curves: From the 1:1 mode that simply warms up signal with low order harmonics without intentional compression, to the "Nuke" setting - a brick wall limiting curve that shines on live drum room mics. Each curve has its own personality, and release shape. Most exceptional is the 10:1 "Opto" ratio which uses separate circuitry to emulate the oldest (and valued) "light controlled" devices, such as the LA2A etc. See manual to emulate other compressors of old
- Discrete and integrated combination - the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components
- Huge knobs with high resolution numbering - For easy readability and repeatable settings. They also go to 10 1/2
- Locked, calibrated, output level - Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels
- Switchable 110/220 volt operation: Extra fuse provided inside unit
- Over design power supplies: Runs cool, allowing cabinet to be sealed: without heat vents. Long life components
- Single height and light weight: Classic sound in a small, extremely reliable package
- True bypass : Know what it's really doing. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability. No internal audio connectors
- XLR and 1/4 in. phone ins and outs: XLR fully balanced, transformerless design, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot
- All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path - top quality components, many mil spec parts
- Hand wired, calibrated in USA
- Freq. response is 2 Hz to 160 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3).
- Dynamic range 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise in distort 3 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
Input impedance is 20K Ohms, Output impedance is < 75 ohms
- Time constants - Attack range 50uS - 50mS.
- Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds,
- normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode. Time constants are dependant on ratio.
- Metal Chassis - single height 1.75" high, 10" deep, 19" wide.
- Shipping info - 12.1 lbs mono, 24.2 lbs
- Stereo pair. Mono box dimensions 22.5" x 18.5" x 3 1/4".
- Stereo Pair box dimensions 22.5" x 18.5" x 6 1/4