Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor
Unlike most analog compressor/limiters the Empirical Labs Distressor EL8 is a digitally controlled audio device and actually incorporates several products into one by utilizing digital controls to switch totally different circuits in and out. Years of beta testing and redesign went into the Distressor as will be the case with all Empirical Labs products.
Besides offering a wide range of control and unique features, the Distressor offers a warm, vintage sound by using a custom designed gain control circuit. This "warmth" or vintage sound has become an important issue in the last 15 years, as the super clear and linear digital technology does very little (or nothing) to soften "harsh" sounds nor emphasize the bass frequencies in music sources. Older analog tape, vinyl records and tube equipment on the other hand, could not be prevented from coloring the sound, often to the frustration of recording engineers. However, many people have now realized that this coloring can be extremely pleasant and "musical".The current digital technology is often referred to as "cold" and "brittle" among other terms, although we prefer the term "unforgiving" to describe the negative side of the "linearity". The Distressor offers several modes that color the signal, even without compression (or gain control). These extended modes were designed to allow emulation of some very old and some very expensive vintage gain control units (compressors & limiters) and deliver a classic "knee" sound all its own.
Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor
- Classic knee sound with modern noise specs and improved performance
- Programmable analog distortion/warmth, helpful in the pristine but unforgiving digital world. Three audio modes providing user programmable, warm harmonic distortion. Emphasized tube-like, 2nd harmonic in clean and Distort 2 mode. In Distort 3 mode, the distortion becomes dominated by 3rd harmonic, more similar to tape
- Distortion indicator lights: A 1% LED and a "Redline" (3%) LED. No hard clipping until a few dB past "Redline"
- Advanced built-in sidechain EQ: High mid band emphasis prevents harsh, edgy guitars or vocals from hurting innocent ears. Low cut keeps the low "sum & difference" frequencies from pumping the upper frequencies of source material
- Fool proof operation: Even though there are 384 possible settings (not counting knob settings), it's almost impossible to get a bad sound. Keep all knobs on 5 or 6 (around middle) with ratio at 6:1 and you won't go wrong
- Eight unique curves: From the 1:1 mode that simply warms up signal with low order harmonics without intentional compression, to the "Nuke" setting - a brick wall limiting curve that shines on live drum room mics. Each curve has its own personality, and release shape. Most exceptional is the 10:1 "Opto" ratio which uses separate circuitry to emulate the oldest (and valued) "light controlled" devices, such as the LA2A etc. See manual to emulate other compressors
- Discrete and integrated combination: the best of speed/linearity with repeatability
- Hand tested & selected components
- Huge knobs with high resolution numbering
- Locked, calibrated, output level: Allows speed in setting tape and live mix levels
- Switchable 110/220 volt operation: Extra fuse provided inside unit
- Over design power supplies: Runs cool, allowing cabinet to be sealed - without heat vents. Long life components
- Single height and light weight: Classic sound in a small, extremely reliable package
- True bypass : Know what it's really doing. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability. No internal audio connectors
- XLR and 1/4 in. phone ins and outs: XLR fully balanced, transformerless design, pin 2 hot. Changeable by user to pin 3 hot
- All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path, top quality components, many military spec parts
- Interface and features found nowhere else
- Hand wired, calibrated in USA
- Freq. response is 2 Hz to 160 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB). Response is shaped in distortion modes (Dist 2, Dist 3).
- Dynamic range 110 dB from max. output to min. output in 1:1 mode.
- Greater than 100 dB signal to noise in distort 3 mode.
- Distortion ranges between .02% and 20% depending on distortion mode and release times set on front panel.
- DC coupled output - High quality input caps.
- Input impedance is 20K Ohms
- Output impedance is < 75 ohms
- Time constants - Attack range 50uS - 50mS.
- Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds, normal modes and up to 20 seconds in 10:1 opto mode.
- Time constants are dependant on ratio.
- Metal Chassis - single height 1.75" high, 10" deep, 19" wide.
- Shipping info - 12.1 lbs mono, 24.2 lbs
- Stereo pair. Mono box dimensions 22.5" x 18.5" x 3 1/4".
- Stereo Pair box dimensions 22.5" x 18.5" x 6 1/4